Buying an air cleanser to counter the high polluting of the environment levels? This air cleanser buying guide aims to assist you take an informed decision.
Buying an air cleaner is tricky. With no industry standards set up in India, individuals are subject to the brands. The prices of air purifiers can range from anywhere between Rs 8,000 and Rs 1 lakh. There are lots of things to consider before buying an air purifier. It is vital to undergo the specifications of each model rather than blindly believe the sales executive. This buying guide aims to allow you to take an educated decision.
Items to remember first
Before you head out to buy an air cleanser, note the following:
- Note the size of the space (preferably in square metres) in which you desire to install an air cleaner
- Note that portable home air cleaners are designed to cater to just one room
- Avoid Ionizers, UV light-based models. These home air cleaners release ozone as a byproduct which have negative effects.
- The price of replacing air conditioning filter and electricity costs should be taken into account. For best results, air purifiers ought to be kept running always.
Certifications to keep in mind
- There are two standards- AHAM (American) and China certification- which can be taken seriously on the market. Most electronic home air cleaners that are available in India do not have any of these certifications. Both the certifications ensure the very least quality and gratification standard for an air purifier model.
- Some popular AHAM Verifide brands are Blueair, Bosch, Electrolux, Honeywell, LG, Philips, Sharp, Whirlpool and others. Remember that all models because of these brands may possibly not be certified.
- Some brands like Xiaomi follow Chinese GB/T 18801 air cleanser standard.
Style of Filter
- The product quality and type of filter determines the potency of an air purifier. Specific filters target different the different parts of air. Probably the most commonly available filter type is HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air). It may filter most (up to 99.9%) air borne particles of small sizes all the way to 0.3 microns. For general usage, HEPA filters get the job done.
- Some brands provide ultrafine particle filter together with the HEPA filter to target particles even finer than 0.3 microns (Divide a hair strand into 240 pieces and the width of just one such piece is equivalent to 0.3 microns). Keep in mind that HEPA filters usually do not remove odour.
- To a target odour, you will have to choose for an activated carbon filter along the regular HEPA filter combination. There are several types of activated carbon filters. Many of them are light mesh-like which prevents cooking odours. On the other hand, some filters offer activated carbon pellets that may remove gaseous and chemical odours.
- Some brands even enable you to customise the filter as per your requirement.
- Air cleanser filters try not to kill air borne germs and bacteria as a whole. You are able to be aware of filters with antibacterial coating. However, avoid UV light-based models.
- Few air cleaner models offer a washable pre-filter to fully capture dust as well as other large particles. Choose for a model with pre-filter as it boosts the life time associated with filter inside.
- The performance of a particular air cleaner model is rated by its coverage area, Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) and Air Changes Per Hour (ACH). While brands will boast about the CADR and coverage of a certain air purifier model, they will elect to remain silent in the ACH. This will be something you should ask and discover before buying an air purifier.
What exactly is ACH?
- Air Changes each hour (ACH) is basically how many times an air cleaner can clean the air of their claimed coverage area in an hour or so. This is really important because pollutants constantly enter your room and also the air purifier has to constantly clean the atmosphere. Because of the pollution levels in Delhi, decide for an air purfier that provides 4 ACH. This means the air purifier can perform cleaning the air of the entire claimed area four times in an hour or so or every a quarter-hour the air inside is wholly replaced.
- The catch let me reveal brands have a tendency to hide the ACH rating while showcasing an elevated coverage area and CADR. If an air purifier can cover more square feet however if its ACH is just about a few, then it is less efficient. Some brands like Blueair offer 5 ACH.
Other stuff to notice:
- Price of replacement filters and their lifespan. Filters usually cost when you look at the number of between Rs 1,500 and Rs 2,500 with a lifespan of approximately half a year. Also, don’t forget to enquire about the accessibility to filters.
- Considering electricity costs, make an effort to hunt for an air cleaner with energy star ratings.
- Noise levels should always be around 35 decibels when the fan is running at the very top speed. Usually do not decide for models with above 55 decibels rating. It is often disturbing while sleeping.