The Walking Dead is a libertarian fantasy in the same way that The West Wing was a liberal fantasy.
I’m a raging liberal and I want to believe that the White House is staffed by incredibly loyal, super smart, progressive patriots with a quick and easy banter. I know that’s probably not true, that it’s probably more like a gaggle of sycophants climbing over one another in a never ending struggle for power and position.
But, I like to visit the imaginary Bartlet administration and get wistful over the way I’d like things to be.
I imagine libertarians would similarly enjoy visiting Rick Grimes’ world, in which there is no government, no taxes, unlimited personal freedom, and human decency is optional.
Don’t feel compelled to slow down for a clearly desperate guy who’s begging for help? No problem! That is, as long as you do slow down to pick up his backpack after he’s dead!
Sounds like libertarian Disneyland. Ron Paul just creamed his pants.
Other Walking Dead Thoughts:
- Check it out. Show had two black characters with multiple lines and managed to NOT kill off either of them.
- Although we’ll probably never see Morgan again.
- Hmmm. Back in the early days, Rick went back for Merle, but not for Morgan.
- For the first time, Michonne was actually Michonne instead of a silent, walking sword.
- There are no good choices left to make in this world.