I have to wonder of the True Blood writers’ room is intimidated by the success of Game of Thrones. That’s a show that should by all rights be horrifically trashy, appealing only to nerds. But, then it goes and wins some awards, along with the coveted general audience. All while remaining well-written, complex, and smart. Game of Thrones flies in the face of conventional thought about viewership.
True Blood can no longer simply offer up trashy sex and expect to keep alfoat. It has to pepper the trashy sex and nudity with decent acting and a compelling story.
Season five has been good. Like season one good. I haven’t been the least bit annoyed with these past three episodes (although I have laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of some things) and am actually watching because I want to know what happens next, rather than out of a sense of duty.
Except for the fairy stuff that happened in this ep. That was stupid.
OK, before we go any further, let’s get the official ogling of Chris Meloni out of the way:
It says a lot for Chris Meloni that he can be covered in blood and I still want him.
It could also say some negative things about me, but I’m not willing to go there just now, OK?
The most remarkable thing about this ep is Sookie’s remorse. She actually feels bad and sees that she ruins lives. She’s getting back to the awkward, inexperienced, season one Sookie, who I actually liked.
Now, a side note on Sookie’s drinking.
Damn it, Sookie! You don’t keep your vodka in the cabinet, even if it’s swill like Gordon’s! You put that crap in the freezer! And if you must drink it from the cabinet, put it on ice first. Jeez.
Sookie’s “bender” seemed woefully inadequate. She wasn’t nearly sloppy enough for someone who didn’t drink much on a regular basis – Sookie should have been babbling and Alcide should’ve been puked on.
BTW, I’m willing to bet that Alcide is dead by the end of the season. He’s the only person who knew where Russell Edgington was buried who hasn’t been interrogated yet. I’m assuming he said the wrong thing to the wrong person in some BS alpha male display. Also, Joe Mangniello is doing movies now. He doesn’t need True Blood anymore.
Other True Blood Thoughts:
- THANK GOD that vampire kid met the true death. He was a terrible actor.
- “The righteous do suffer.” “I am not Job. I accept my fate.” Did that sound like a coded exchange to anyone else?
- Soooooo, everyone in the vampire council looked guilty, right? I’m guessing that Roman is the only one who believes in the mainstreaming movement and he’s surrounded by Sanguinistas and doesn’t know it?
- The fairies run an escort service and cabaret. They seem to be attempting a Bob Fosse/ Cirque du Soleil of the Swamp kinda thing.
- OK, then.
- Damn it. I really like that Abney Park song they were dancing to at the Fairy Cabaret and Glitter Emporium. I won’t be able to listen to it now without seeing the fairy floor show.