By Lisa Fary
Show me your supporters and I’ll tell you who you are.
Many of those who attended recent McCain-Palin rallies in Florida were violent, salivating racists* who hate the media. But, I’m sure many still consider family values to be very important.
Not all media, obviously - someone had to make a hit out of Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?. It’s just the liberal media that’s reviled.
You know, that liberal media that asks biased questions of that candidates such as “What magazines and newspapers do you read?” and “What Supreme Court cases other than Roe v Wade do you disagree with?” That same liberal media that wants to put sex on primetime network television when everyone knows that a naked breast is far more damaging to little eyes than an army of gun wielding Terminators. Remember kids: sex is evil, but guns are fun!
- “TREASON!” (at Palin’s mention of a 2007 Obama comment about Afghanistan).
- “TERRORIST!” (at McCain’s question to a New Mexico crowd, “Who is Barack Obama?” which may or may not have been rhetorical – Undead Grampers may have needed a reminder).
- “(RACIAL EPITHET) SIT DOWN, BOY!” (said by a rally-goer to an African-American sound guy)
- “KILL HIM!” (at Palin’s mention of Obama’s flimsy association with Bill Ayers).
By the way, if you made that last comment, the Secret Service would like to talk to you.
This just what’s been reported and caught on tape. Surely, there is more, but we may never know because of the new McCain-Palin campaign press restrictions.
At a Palin rally in Clearwater, Florida, campaign officials kept members of the media confined to a press pen and were not allowed contact with supporters. Why? Because in the past, negative things had been written about Palin’s supporters.
Hmmm. Are Sarah Palin supporters the new Sarah Palin? Flowers who must be shielded from the likes of Katie Couric? Or is the Undead Grampers-Palin campaign embarrassed by the supporters and what they may say on camera and in print? Maybe a little of both? (Although, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that it was partly for the reporters’ own protection – Dana Milbank from the Washington Post reported that the crowds openly shouted abuse as the press arrived and continued to do so when Palin mentioned her skit with Katie Couric).
So, if these are the supporters, who are Undead Grampers and Palin?
- They’re candidates who prefer an electorate that is easy to fool and distract.
- They’re candidates who have nothing to run on other than stirring up the ugliest parts of this country.
- They’re candidates who prefer to engage base instincts by any means possible rather than intellect and substance.
- They’re candidates who, despite their cries of “Country First!”, are truly more interested in winning.
I can’t imagine that stirring up this kind of lie-fueled social hatred is a positive thing for the country.
Basic Instinct: 1 Geeks: 0
*(No, not all Undead Grampers-Palin supporters are violent, salivating, media-hating racists. There. Broad generalization neutralized.)
Lisa Fary’s early exposure to classic Battlestar Galactica in 1979 is largely responsible for her lifelong interest in science fiction and her childhood ambition of being an intergalactic space cowgirl. She thinks diagramming sentences is a fun alternative to Sudoku.